I have yet to find any instant oatmeal packets that can compare to the flavor and texture of this homemade strawberries and cream oatmeal recipe made with fresh strawberries, cream, and steel cut oats. Once you try this one, I think you will agree that it is well worth the extra cook time, especially since the total prep time is under 5 minutes!
Check out my most popular Blueberry Muffins Recipe made with Kamut Flour for more easy breakfast ideas!
Whether you are a seasoned cook or a kitchen novice, this homemade strawberries and cream oatmeal recipe is so easy to follow. Prep the base at night and reheat in the microwave for a busy weekday morning, enjoy it as an evening treat before bed, or on a slow weekend morning while you sip your coffee. This recipe is so versatile and tastes like the comfort of home in a bowl.
What you’ll need:
- 1/4 cup Steel Cut Oats
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp of salted butter
- 1 tbsp of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries
- topping of your choice (I love fresh walnuts for this recipe)
How to make homemade strawberries and cream oatmeal
- Prepare the steel cut oats on a stovetop. Combine 1/4 cup of steel cut oats with 1 1/2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a bowl and then let simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes until they thicken.
- While the oats are cooking, wash and cut the strawberries and set aside.
- Once the oats are done, transfer them to a bowl and add the maple syrup, butter, heavy cream, and strawberries. Mix well to combine and enjoy your fresh homemade strawberries and cream oatmeal!
Substitutions and Suggestions
You can substitute the fresh strawberries for any fruit. I love this steel cut oat base with fresh blueberries or frozen strawberries too.
Add topping of your choice to this homemade strawberries and cream oatmeal. Here are some that I love:
- Shredded Coconut
- Almond Slivers
Customize this recipe to your liking, the possibilities are truly endless!