When it comes to easy weeknight sides, few dishes rival the earthy flavor and crunch of sautéed okra. This side takes about 5-10 minutes to prepare from beginning to end – depending on how much you are cooking. I can’t think of an easier last minute side to throw together!
You can find more of my easy side dishes here that are perfect for quick weeknight dinners!
The ingredients list for this sauteed okra recipe could not be any shorter! These kinds of recipes have a special place in my heart and are made on repeat in our household. You will only need 3 ingredients:
- Fresh Okra – I usually use a 16 oz container to feed 5 people.
- Olive Oil – About 4 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
How to make sautéed okra
- Wash and dry the fresh okra. Then, slice the tops of each piece of okra off and cut the okra into half inch thick pieces and set aside.
- Wile you are cutting the okra, start heating a pan on a cooktop. You want the pan to be hot before you add oil for sautéed okra
- Once it is hot, add the olive oil and let it get hot, then turn the heat down to medium/high to avoid burning the oil. Olive oil has a smoke point of 375-470 depending on what kind you are using. You can find out more about the smoke point of olive oil here. I have found that medium heat is usually hot enough to sauté the okra without burning the oil.
- Add the okra to the pan and let it cook in the oil for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. You will know it is done when the okra has slightly softened and browned. Be careful not to overcook it or it will become mushy and lose it’s crunch.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve the sauteed okra immediately and enjoy!
Add A Protein to the Sauteed Okra
- Baked Chicken
- Baked Salmon
- Rotisserie Chicken (quick protein option)
- Hamburger Patties
- Baked Pork Tenderloin
- Sauteed Shrimp (another REALLY fast protein option)
Add a Carb to the Sautéed Okra